I know it’s cliché, but it’s time for my December 10th Resolution. I have a habit of reading multiple books at the same time. Not literally of course, that would be confusing. But I’ll have a few spines cracked and bounce around between them as I go. Well, I’ve let a few fall through the cracks and I’m sick of seeing them lying around half consumed. So today I vow to get them all finished before the clock strikes midnight on December 31, 2012. I’ve tracked down four, but I think there are five left to finish. My strategy is to start with the book that I’m closest to finishing, and progress leaving the most reading for last. I’m hoping to build some momentum that way. Here’s the list in order.
“The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence For Belief”by Francis S. Collins. (Collins was the head of the Human Genome Project) 75 pages were remaining when I began Operation Turn The Page(s).*
- “The Power of Words and the Wonder of God” John Piper and Justin Taylor, General Editors – 33 Pages Remaining (You can get this as a free .PDF here.)
- “Safe in the Arms of God: Truth From Heaven About the Death of a Child” by John MacArthur – 148 pages remaining
- “In A Sunburned Country” by Bill Bryson – 148 pages remaining.
So there it is, 404 pages to read in 21 days. It really shouldn’t be a problem, but with Christmas letters to write, cookies to bake, gifts to buy, traveling to be made, family time to be spent, work to be done, etc, etc, etc, we’ll see how it goes.
- Do you read one book at a time, or do you bounce around like me?
- Do you have a book, or books, to finish before the New Year?
* As of this post I’d already finished The Language of God. It was on top of the stack, so I finished it before implementing my plan.